Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Time Lapse

                Well, the dictionary defines it as a photographic technique where frames of slow movements are recorded at intervals, over a period of time & which when shown at normal speed, makes the event appear faster.
                     Ditto thought Sarah, reminiscing her life over past few years. Sohaib was out for his Morning walk. She didn't join him everyday which annoyed him. He had learnt to go solo, gradually. She on the other hand enjoyed those moments of ' Me time' which she used have in plenty when Sohaib was working. She took her tab and started keying after staring at the mean thing for few seconds. Why couldn't pen & paper be the norm ? Why did things change so fast ?
                       I didn't have an aim as such while growing up. I lived the moment to the hilt. Movies, friends, good food & music formed the core of my purpose of life. I loved people. As part of a joint family, I was either serving some elderly or babysitting someone or accompanying cousins. Eventually I settled with Husband, kids & a home of my own. Things were same, only place & people had changed. Children formed my core of existence & I made sure I was there for them all the time. My boys grew up pretty fast, soon went on their own. Ya ya I know the 'empty nest' thing. Bitter truth. Well both sons settled with their own kids, what more should I ask for ?
                   Something doesn't feel right. Sohaib stays home 24/7. I am happy of course. But the platter seems empty. Once it was filled with friends, cousins, movies, outings then with kids & now ? They all connect through WhatsApp & Facebook. Its overwhelming @ times to meander through endless forwards & so called chats on personal level as well as group chats. My back & neck aches at times. While it's a delight to be connected at finger tips, it's somehow not fulfilling. What was that phrase again....All relationships exist in Mind ! The maxim does hold good literally now.
                          Neil has been calling us to stay with him. His Wife fortunately doesn't mind having two oldies as addition to the family. I have plenty of questions in mind - When Neil couldn't hold a thing, would keep dropping them or the many times he stumbled & fell down - I was there for him, my duty you see.  Now I tend to drop the knife I was cutting vegetables with, multiple times. It takes a whole three minutes for me to get up, stand & then walk. Sometimes I ask things repeatedly to clarify. Now my priority revolves around taking medicines & food on time. What I did as a Mom, now goes by the name of 'help for the elderly, an assistant'. Neil will assist me, no questions, but I am not going over to Neil's to stay. Time for him to visit us & reminisce his childhood instead.
                             

No comments:

Post a Comment