Thursday, June 18, 2009

For you Dad !

I would always look forward to sit by your side and listen to the endless stories you narrated. Now this would happen only in the frequent train journeys we made every year which meant total three days of travel, few decades back. You would tell me how the rivers and hills were formed as they zoomed passed the window and I would sit wide eyed and wonder about these earthly wonders. Then there were mythological stories from Geeta, Ramayana and Mahabharata, which would mesmerize me. Your way of story telling was dynamic and I could construct all its elements in my mind.

But my favourite story Appa, was the one you told about yourself, how you were a 'self made man', a phrase Mom always used. Your childhood was very memorable you said. You grew up inBhadravati (where you haven't taken us till now), the eldest of the nine siblings. Grandpa worked for the then British Govt. and by all means was a wealthy man. Granny served food in silverware and in true Iyengar (a South Indian community) style, gifted anything silver to the guests. Grandpa bought six racehorses on his friend's advice, and lost money, had to sell 4 of the horses. You said you were nine years old then and because the circumstances reversed, you had to ferry passengers from the railway station in the horse cart. Well as a young boy, you said you enjoyed riding horses minus saddles, and the hardship never seemed too hard for you. You went to night school too. Once you were shouted at by a school teacher for being late, lacking discipline, and when you could take no more, you told him the reality, from then on he helped you. Once while there was a curfew, you were caught by police for ferrying passengers in the horse cart one late evening. Then you were taken to the court. You were scared, but bold at the same time. Now I know why you used to tell me not to be afraid of telling the truth, no matter who stood in front. Well you were a frightened nine year old boy facing the judge who was questioning but who condoned, when he heard your story. How easily you narrated all your hardships but for me it was a mixture of feelings to fathom. For a moment I would be so proud, and couldn't register at the other moment, a nine year old attending school and earning money for his family and that too after having lived a lavish life ! The fact that my brother and I were totally shielded from hardships because you were now a successful Engineer/Manager in a huge organization, made me wonder. Nevertheless, your stories were always a motivation to excel, come whatever may.

I would get annoyed at times when you refused to buy me certain things I wanted, not understanding the family responsibilities you had, of getting a brother and a sister married apart from taking responsibility of educating yet another sister who excelled everywhere under your guidance. You never took a loan because you hated the word. You educated both of us, bought your own house got us married, with your savings ! Relatives, you took care and still do. Well you had to ask someone for a rupee as examination fee and that put you off so much that you vowed never to take a loan for anything. No wonder the credit card system when came into picture, you just couldn't relate to, and told us not to get into it as well. You took care of your mom in her old age, when she couldn't even recognize you and the younger brother who passed away. You had to visit the elderly relatives, during the yearly family vacation and you took us everywhere making us kneel the Indian style. It didn't make any sense then but talk of networking now ! I could see how everyone respected you and us as "Partha's children'. All the math I have learned is because you taught us the hard way, making us repeat the whole text book three times before the final exam. While walking back home from school, we dreaded if you had first shift because you would be home to teach us. You bought a bicycle when your son who was expecting a moped, when he passed his HSC exam with distinction. Talk of disappointment, but which made him buy his first bike with his own money after he landed a good job later. Me ? you brought me up like any doting father, though a bit conservative not allowing me for school or college picnics if they were held too far, preferring me to study at a college close by even though I excelled in studies and who got me married with a heavy heart, the 'Father of the bride, Steve Martin style' but very happy with the choice I made.

Now as we lead our lives as your children, your life story is a torch that throws light on the twists and turns on the paths we walk upon.

3 comments: