Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Tribute to you Mom on Women's Day


The most beautiful woman in my life, my Mother...I haven't clicked your photo on my cell, to upload in my blog, but you are there whenever I need you ! I draw strength from the way you led your life with Appa, Vine, me...and also how you dealt your in-laws and 'maher' (that's marathi word for maternal relations). I have only a fair idea about your life before I was born, which I know, also holds a good deal to teach me Life skills/lessons. You made my schooling years very memorable. As a child I remember being so naive as to think there was only one person in the whole world called 'Mom' and that was you ! In fact when I heard other kids calling 'mom', I used to wonder who these women were ? Always wanting to see me excel in studies, you taught me all subjects which I imbibed like a sponge. You always said that I was sincere enough to listen to your instructions while teaching and so I excelled. Standing 'I st' in the class was a rule for me (that's what you wanted) and anything less would upset me very much. So 'rank conscious' I was that I wouldn't befriend anyone who was not a 1st or 2nd ranker which I understood later was not a 'sane idea'. Being a Homescience graduate and having a good command over English in those days, you wanted to have a job, a very ambitious person that you were. But your dad didn't let you work and appa followed suit. Mom, thank you for giving your whole life in bringing up Vine and me. Your world revolved around the three of us. Oops ! your 'blind love' and dedication to Appa, I can't match. Lucky guy, Appa to have such a fan for life ! Well you were always the perfectionist during my growing years and quite judgemental too, a reason why I could never click with you in the kitchen or while learning to speak 'kannada' or the 'Carnatic Music'. However 'the not agreeing' rebel inside me loves you despite the differences. You and me : We are poles apart but bond strongly ! You tried to pass on your "Children/husband is my life" philosophy to me whom you had taught to become 'self-dependent, stand on you own, have a niche etc...' A part of you wants to see me on top of the world and another, to see me as your reflection. But that's all past. Now after all these years, I am seeing a different 'you'. You have mellowed and your scales of perfection have been compromised too. You are taking care of your spinster aunt in her 90's because she did a lot for you when you were growing up. You are my role model Mom and I see myself doing many of the things which you did and I scoffed at. Your tenacity and the spirit to serve people, in your 60 + years is amazing. You are comfortable with a steady flow of people in your house though sometimes you ring me up and tell that you want to be alone for a while ! I just listen to you, a trait at least which you have always counted upon, from the day when I verbally supported you in a family issue. I was tired of seeing you fighting all alone. And with me by your side, no one could utter a word about you. I shall continue to be the pillar of strength for you to lean upon, in your twilight years Mom. Here's once again a wishing you 'A Happy Woman's Day'.

P.S. The lady with purse, sitting on extreme left in the photo is Usha Aatya, (the greatest networker in the family that I know of till now), celebrating 'Women's Day' with her schoolmates. The second photograph, you need not guess !

2 comments:

  1. i remember when i got 57% in my Bcom 1st year aunty was so very upset.
    but the instant she came to know that i was the few who cleared 1st year u could see the pride in her face.

    I am amazed by the fact that our mothers being so submissive in their daily lives could show so much of strength in all adversities. i wonder if we could ever match that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh..let me enlighten u on the animals..she has on her daily feed quota a pair of crows who sit on the window sill and "she talks to them..."
    In her absence have to feed them.Then there are the sundry cats and dogs...she speaks to them and one gets a feeling they understand her..they also mew, bark or go caw caw..now u know the mystery behind my post comment name

    ReplyDelete