Friday, March 20, 2009

For you Anagha


Brother's daughter : That's how you are related to me sweetheart. Well, One and a quarter year old, you stepped into my home last week, still clinging to your 'amma', yet taking in all that was there in the living room with your tiny naughty eyes. I was introduced to you promptly by your parents as 'aththe' and my was I proud to be referred to that word for the first time in my life? So I took you in my arms and surprisingly, you didn't wail. There: a bond was established, still the little person in you was scrutinizing me, wondering who this lady must be ! Well I told you that I was your 'aththe', making sure that it registered properly in your mind and would continue to do so during the next few days that you stayed in. You don't gel with soft toys much, I found out but instantly took to your Akash 'anna'. You would give him 'tight' (your parent's baby word for a hug), but me ? you wouldn't, however I tried luring you with 'raisins' and 'biscuits' which you liked a lot. Sitting on the bed, licking the cream of the biscuit and occasionally wiping your tiny hands on the bedspread, playing with my cell with greasy hands... Somehow I didn't feel like stopping you. One fine day you and I had a good time when I got to feed you, while your mom was busy elsewhere. You liked my cell and would say 'on' and switch the walkman on. Your impromptu dance on 'left leg aagey aagey...from rab ne banaa de jodi' was a delight to watch. You getting angry reminded me of my granny and your great grandmother. We try to trace something of our lineage in every newborn that arrives in the family. Why ? Roots. Man can't do without it. No wonder I find something binding you and me, the genetic way that is.

3 comments:

  1. Vainateya's daughter is it? Cute & precocious in her concentration.
    I had seen his snap someplace but slips my mind, what was the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. She's my chacha's granddaughter. Am the only girl dad's side so have the exclusive family rights for the Aatya status.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very impressive & touching. I never thought the poetess in you was still kicking....

    ReplyDelete