Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Why FB ? Why Blog ?

This one was the latest topic of the couple of arguements I regularly have with my 'sometimes ex-friend' and 'most times husband'. And also one of the reasons why I am not visiting FB. A rebel that I am, Shobha De gives me courage when she mentions in 'Spouse' about not wearing 'Salwar kurta at all because the 'husband' doesn't like her in that attire ! Wish there was a whole set of T.V. crew to record this debate that brought down every explanation on Earth, 'the Need to express' from my side and from 'Him' all the logical reasons of the potential harms of social networking sites, and how it was no different from writing on the 'Roadside Walls' where anyone and everyone could read. Now can you imagine guys 'kya beetee hogee mere dil pe yar' ? 
                        How can I explain that inexplicable feeling ( a yummy one ) that I get when I blog or  connect, wall or no wall. The whole cyber world where words hang between the zillions of souls spread across, I am o.k. with that, not 'the Husband'. I told him I could keep track of my 'globe trotting bro' who is a regular on F.B. plus those far placed cousins in the U.S. whose lives I could take a peek into, with their kids and spouses and not only that I even 'met' 'his' wonderful  relatives on the world wide web yar. I even coaxed my two best pals residing in the country to open and a/c so that we could connect, in fact one is so busy with her two kids that I had to teach her how to open an a/c etc. , me very happy to guide of course. Then there are friends from the Insti where I work with whom I could even shoptalk. Oh! and not to mention the students whom I invited saying that using social networking sites can help improve their 'English' language. Man, I agree I at times tend to overlook the flip side when I start digging the positive side of something, as the positives seems to outweigh the negative ones like this feature about F.B. I saw in a recent issue of the Reader's Digest, one of my favourite magazines 'Face book users are Narcissists- a recent survey suggests'. O.k. so what I said. Yes I was getting addicted to this delicious thing, which actually started with my son teaching me to open an orkut account while he opened his own ! Once going through his profile, I did not like that he mentioned he was '18' years old ! And imagine a 13 year old being labelled 'sexy' ! And there I asked my VIIIth std son what that exactly meant ? Few days back we did have a session on the topic which's a part of the science curriculum. And he was like 'Mamma, I don't know, my friends must have labelled, you don't label yourself on orkut, cummon dummy'. The last word he started using for me ever since he saw 'Home Alone'. Well coming back, the tussle between 'us adults', let me shorten the story, resulted in one positive thing--The Friend resurfaced, telling me what it means to connect in the 'real sense'. Fine I said, but what about the writer in me boss? Oh ! he had a 'magnanimous answer' for that too which I thought was sweet but it had to wait. Till then I said I shall blog.

4 comments:

  1. just loved this one.Happens with us too. I like to share with friends and the whole world, he likes to hold everything close to his heart.and there start the difference(s). But these differences do spice up life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Veena!
    very nice post.
    Talking about joining social networking, this is the first one I have joined as I am not a great fan of orkut and face book. I don't want somebody to play with my profile, But Blogging (a roadside wall, as u have suggested) made a real difference to my routine life. Its a place where we get to share our experiences and also get to know each other's view on even trivial issues. I just cant see any bad about this site. Truly a platform for many brave hearts.Gives a feeling of living in a democratic world. Its like meeting our like-minded friends all around the world which otherwise would have not been possible. There could have been many Veena, Bhagayshre, DG on this planet but their blogger-I.D made be get befriend with them .hehehheheh. And also like today's case, when I was deep down depressed, reading good post made me chill about my bad day. So all of u who haven't join this site ............come and fall in love with Blog.
    Thats all
    Good night

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anytime DT ! It feels good when some1 says the post helped. Aren't we all minds/soul with bodies and not the other way round ie bodies with mind/soul ?

    ReplyDelete